-Footprints in the Sand-

-Footprints in the Sand-

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed he was walking along the beach with the LORD.

Across the sky flashed scenes from his life. For each scene he noticed two sets offootprints in the sand: one belonging to him, and the other to the LORD.

When the last scene of his life flashed before him, he looked back at the footprints in the sand.

He noticed that many times along the path of his life there was only one set of footprints.

He also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in his life.

This really troubled him and he questioned the LORD about it:

"LORD, you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life, there is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me."

The LORD replied:

"My son, my precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

An "Attitude of Gratitude"

I was blessed to live in a country where things are...well easy.  I didn't really realize how easy until I came to Mexico, and really live the lifestyle they have.  Many things are small, and some larger than others, but regardless of the size they all have impacted the way I see things in life.  Let me name a few to start off:

1-  Clean water.  Something that we definitely take for granted in America.  I have bought about 40 separate water bottles already (since carrying a carton of water bottles isn't really practical) and it's kind of a pain and gets expensive.  Water is the most expensive drink here.  Frescas or sodas, and even alcohol are a few pesos cheaper than water, so that is what most people buy.  Never will I take clean water for granted. 

2-  Automatic hot water.  In my house we don't automatically get hot water.  In the states I could wake up, turn on the water, and tada!  Hot water.  Not so much here.  I call it "the flame."  Every morning when I wake up, I have to go downstairs and turn on the "flame."  Hot water doesn't kick in until 20 minutes, so that means waking up extra early to make my 8 o'clock sacrament meeting.  It's not a hard task, and I don't mind it, it's just another thing that I need to be more grateful for in my life.  I am especially grateful for even having hot water here.  Many people don't, and have no choice but to take cold showers. 

3-  Free bathrooms.  The one thing that shocked me the most, was that I had to pay to use public restrooms.  I never would have even dreamed of that one!  It is usually 4 pesos to use public restrooms, and I'm telling you, it is an experience that you have to experience for yourself.  Toilet paper is not even in each stall, it's on the outside.  So make sure you grabbed enough or you'll be in a big pickle!  Also toilet paper doesn't go in the toilet, it goes in the garbage can.  That one took A LOT of getting used to.  I am so very grateful for "free, use as much toilet paper as you want, and flush it bathrooms."

4-  Dryers.  This one pretty much says it all.  I do have a washer at my house right now, but I have to hang my clothes out on the line.  This was really no problem, but it took some courage to hang my underwear up on that line.  Everyone could see them...and it was a moment of "just do it Sophia, no one cares you wear spandex" type moment.  I am one of the luckier ones that actually has a washer though.  Some teachers at school have to wash theirs by hand, yet another thing to be grateful for. 

5-  Air conditioning.  Yeah you pretty much get this one.  I just have to say that I love my dad's occupation.

6-  "Everything stores."  Here everything is separate.  This means that you have to go to a variety of stores to get everything on your shopping list.  This is time consuming, and it makes me grateful for my "weak sauce" now "hot sauce" Wal Mart in Tennessee to buy everything I need in a one stop shop. 

7-  Beautiful architecture.  One thing that the states lack is color.  Mexico is so full of color everywhere.  I love it!  I am grateful that for a time I get to live in a beautiful city, with a new family who is very caring (especially about my weight :p) and who takes care of my needs.  I am grateful, and very excited to see what else Mexico throws at me, and be willing to learn from it.  I want to continue to see things with an "attitude of gratitude.'


No comments:

Post a Comment

Redeemer


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com