-Footprints in the Sand-

-Footprints in the Sand-

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed he was walking along the beach with the LORD.

Across the sky flashed scenes from his life. For each scene he noticed two sets offootprints in the sand: one belonging to him, and the other to the LORD.

When the last scene of his life flashed before him, he looked back at the footprints in the sand.

He noticed that many times along the path of his life there was only one set of footprints.

He also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in his life.

This really troubled him and he questioned the LORD about it:

"LORD, you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life, there is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me."

The LORD replied:

"My son, my precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

Monday, October 15, 2012

Noticing People

When you have a 23 minute walk that you have to take everyday, you can't help but to notice things and people on the way.  For the past 4 and a half weeks I have been making the long trek to school at 8:40 every morning.  I have come to realize that I look forward to those familiar things and faces to get me to my desired destination.  This weekend while standing on a balcony in Puebla, Kaylie and I had a talk that kinda got me thinking.  We were talking about history, and how much of it really exists in the world.  Everyone has one, and everything on the earth for that matter, and I just couldn't help but think about the history that exists on the streets that I walk on.  For example:

-  I start out by passing a guy selling smoothies on the street parallel to mine.  He is always mixin' up something in his blender, which I am always tempted to stop and try one of those awesome smoothies, (cause I'm sure they are)  but if I did that with every vendor I see I might go broke. Oh wait a second, I already am.

-  I then pass a mom walking her little son to school.

-  A dad and a daughter of about 3 walk by as well.  The little girl is adorable, and talks a million miles a minute.  :)

-  The last family that I pass (I believe) is a grandmother, and a granddaughter.  This family I smile a little bigger at on my way.  One day while walking down the street I saw them walking arm in arm, and very happily the granddaughter gave her grandma a kiss on the temple.  The granddaughter has down-syndrome, and it warmed my heart to see her love for her grandma.  

-  I pass plenty of mechanic shops, one which belongs to my friend Daniel. (At least I think that is his name.)  It cracked me up one day, when I saw him on the sidewalk, on a motorcycle/moped shindig, with aviator sunglasses and a helmet the size of a watermelon on.  SO funny!  He was patiently waiting for his wife to come out of the house, as he wished me luck on the rest of my walk.

-  About half way through my walk, I run into the lady making breakfast at her stand.  Whatever she cooks smells super good, and I secretly wish that she would offer me some.  :p

-  I think the next is the worse part of my walk.  I pass a boy in an arcade store, who just stares when I walk by.  Kinda awkward.  I think he found a better hobby however, because lately the store has been locked up when I have walked by.  I mean, who really plays arcade games in the morning anyways?? 

-  The Zumba building is the most exciting building I will admit!  What is better than Zumba music to start your day?  There are about 20-30 people all crammed in there doing dance moves I could never dream of doing, but I know 2 people brave enough to try it.  :)

-  The guy running his dog with the blue and black Nikes on.  His dog is huge, and could probably swallow me whole.

-  And to end my walk, I walk into the school to see Flor, our helper, cleaning diligently and happily to make sure the school is clean before others start to arrive. I am always welcomed with a "Buenos Dias," and a smile. 

All within my 23 minute walk, I am able to see so many individuals who I do not know personally, but know that they; like me, have a history.  I am curious to know about all of them, and what brings them to stand in the same streets, and be in the same place at the same time as me.  I know that I am here to teach English to amazing children, but the journey isn't always that easy.  What are their stories?  I will never know the things that I want to know about these people, but I know that one person does.  It is kind of boggling to me that Heavenly Father knows everything about everyone, and how he will never forget a detail of it.  It makes me feel special.  Knowing that I am important with all the other people who have ever lived on the world really makes me grateful for a loving Father in Heaven who can help me;  all because he knows me.  Maybe one day, I will get to sit down with these individuals who I met in Mexico and talk about their footprints they left behind in the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Redeemer


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com